AEA’s Chicago office provides energy technical services for energy efficiency retrofits and green new construction projects in both multifamily and single-family homes.
We assist homeowners, building management, trade allies, and residents participating in government or utility energy efficiency programs. We also work with private clients.
AEA provides expert training on energy management, energy efficient building operations and a wide range of technical topics to audiences from contractors to building operators to energy professionals and program administrators.
Courses for Illinois Home Performance Contractors
AEA offers continuing education courses as part of the Illinois Home Performance Building Science Training Series, which is made possible through funding from the Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity. Attendees learn best practices for testing and installations, keep updated on applicable codes and standards, and earn continuing education credits from BPI.
- BPI Healthy Home Evaluator
- OSHA Confined Spaces
- Combustion Safety Testing
- Air Sealing and Dense pack Insulation
- ASHRAE 62.2 – 2016 Ventilation Standard
- Infiltration and Duct Leakage Testing
- Building Science Principles
- BPI 1200-S-2015
- HVAC Quality Installations
- Infrared Technologies
See course information and a schedule of upcoming classes on AEA’s Training Calendar.
Learn more about AEA’s training for Illinois Home Performance, contact Steve Marchese.
Energy Technical Services
Our services in the Chicago area are summarized below. To learn more about AEA services in all of our offices, click on the Services tab.
• Energy and water benchmarking
• Energy efficiency retrofit construction project management
• Program design and implementation
• Trade ally development and mentoring
• Design assurance/third party verification for high performance buildings, including Passive House structures.
o Air Tightness Testing
o Measurement and Verification of ventilation system performance
o Air Barrier Integrity
o Multifamily Quality Control Inspections
Building and property management professionals, technicians and installers, and program staff come to AEA to learn how to assess building conditions and install retrofits to maximize both energy efficiency, and occupant health and safety.
Our courses offer students
• Essential industry certifications
• Continuing education credits
• Expert trainers with years of experience in their fields
• In-person classes and interactive, real-time distance learning
• Introductory modules to get up to speed before the class
• 3-D graphics, animations, and knowledge checks
AEA trainees get engaged with the material so they know how to apply new skills on the job. They learn new techniques and best practices, proper use of high performance materials, how to avoid common errors.
Installer courses at AEA’s Hands-On Training Lab
• Infiltration and Duct Leakage Testing (BPI)
• Retrofit Installer Technician (BPI/HEP)
• Air Sealing and Dense Pack Insulation
• Combustion Safety Testing
Building Performance Institute (BPI) Test Center
AEA Chicago is an approved BPI Test Center, offering
1. Proctoring for all BPI written exams
2. Proctoring field exams for a growing list of BPI certifications, including
o Retrofit Installer Technician (prepares students for the advanced Home Energy Professional certification from BPI)
o Infiltration and Duct Leakage
o Heating Professional
o Building Analyst
o Multifamily Building Analyst
Our Chicago facilities
(For directions, go to the Locations page under the About Us tab.)
• Our office and classroom are located at 3025 North Western Avenue in the Bricktown neighborhood of Chicago’s North Side. This location also serves as the Chicago home base for our national distance learning network.
• Our Hands-on Training Lab is just west of Midway Airport on South Central Avenue. This site provides ample space and specialized mock-ups for workers to learn sharpen their skills at installing, sealing, testing, detecting leaks in insulation, ductwork, moisture barriers, and more.
Contact us at (312) 233-2451 for your Chicago area training and testing needs. To discuss custom course offerings for your program or staff, send an email to Adam Romano.